After reading Brain Pickings article about Kidd and his book, here are five take-aways I learned from design.
- Many people do not think that everything is designed! This is so true for me. I didn’t realize how much goes into design to make sure it has the biggest effect on the reader.
- This quote, “Everything that is not made by nature is designed by someone,” wow so true!! There is thought that goes into literally everything that is designed unless it is natural!
- “Graphic design is purposeful planning that uses any combination of forms, pictures, words, and meanings to achieve one’s goal.” Yup, like I said before, people want to create the best design possible to achieve a goal!
- “Graphic design needs your willing mental participation, even if it’s subconscious.” This is so true. When I was creating my flyer for TikTok Pasta, I was really thinking hard to find the best design. I feel like I knew what looked good and what didn’t – and maybe that was a subconscious thing. It was really all about trying out different designs on Canva and figuring out what looked best.
- We can learned from poorly designs as well! I have definitely seen designs/posters/ads where there are typos and the colors don’t go well together.